Are you interested in learning how to test your DNA? Maybe it’s because you’ve seen one of those shows on TV, or maybe you just want to figure out where your red hair comes from. No matter what your reason, doing a DNA test is a simple and fun way to learn about your ancestry and even find new family members. Are you interested in getting started and testing your DNA? Read more!
Easy steps to test DNA for Ancestry
Decide which testing company that you want to use. As of 2018, there are five major companies who do this type of testing: Ancestry DNA, Family Tree DNA, and 23 and Me, My Heritage DNA, and Living DNA. Each company has it’s advantages and disadvantages.
- If you are looking for a more scientific take on your results, 23 and Me is the best choice.
- If you are interested in using your results to meet new family members and build your family tree, Ancestry DNA is the top choice.
- If you are looking for a middle option, which also happens to be the most economical, Family Tree DNA would be for you.
Full disclosure: I prefer Ancestry DNA because of the large database of other testers and a balanced approach to ethnicity reports.
- Visit the website of the company you decide to use, and order your kit. Note that Family Tree DNA offers more than one type of DNA test. You only need to do the basic one, and on Family Tree DNA it’s called “Family Finder”). All of these companies will give you similar results, but I recommend Ancestry DNA, 23andMe, and Family Tree DNA because I have used them extensively myself. They offer the most value for your DNA investment.
The following links are sponsored links to companies that I highly recommend and have used personally:
- Start your Ancestry DNA journey today!
- Start your 23andMe DNA adventure today!
- Begin your DNA journey with Family Tree DNA!
- What will you learn with your My Heritage DNA test?
- Order your Living DNA USA today!
After you’ve chosen your DNA test:
- Once your kit arrives, follow the instructions that come along with it. For example, Ancestry DNA requires you to spit in a tube. It’s quick and easy. Family Tree DNA uses cheek swabs, which are also very easy to do. Once you complete the instructions, pop the kit back in the mailbox.
- Within 4-8 weeks, you will have your DNA results! The companies will notify you via e-mail that your test results are ready.
- Check back with this website to learn how to understand your results and use them to find family and build your family tree.
Which testing company to choose for genetic DNA test?
I first chose to use Ancestry DNA for testing my DNA. I like the fact that they have a huge database of over 14 million testers. This was perfect for helping me trace my difficult-to-track family tree. I also found a new first cousin of my mom – they never knew about each other! And I use Ancestry’s family tree building site, which is connected with Ancestry DNA, and it has made figuring out how my DNA matches are related to me pretty simple!
If you want to know more, you might be interested in my post called, “DNA Testing For Beginners: The Ultimate Strategy“.
If you have any questions about testing your DNA, I’d love to hear from you in the comments 🙂